1. GOODREADS: The biggest book site (owned by Amazon, with lots of rules). Integrates with Kindle. Offers networking with friends, book challenges, book catalogue, giveaways and lists.
After setting up as an Author and reading the guide, then you can consider a giveaway in your country. Goodreads now charge $119 for giveaways. Give away only as many new books as you can afford to pay for. Review not guaranteed nor might it be good.
2. LIBRARYTHING: One of the first book cataloguing sites, with over 2.2 million members. Networking, free book giveaways.
3. BOOK CROSSING: A book sharing site. Leave a book post of yours there, and look up books you find.
4. LITSY: Phone app only. An ‘Instagram for books’ (not as big though!). Book reviews, book photos, social networking.
5. BOOKBUB Partners: Known for eBook deals (free or 99 cents) for 4-star+ reviewed books, you can also sign up as a partner in order to include author book recommendations and book cataloguing. It would work for those who have a strong presence or lots of author friends. BookBub list of Free Author Marketing Tools. Follow Jennifer on BookBub, and I will follow back.
Advertising, Once Established
Here is a way to find thousands more readers with a small budgeted amount:
BookBub Ads can be used to promote any book at any price at any time. Ads aren’t subject to an editorial review process, so you can launch a campaign whenever you want and let it run as long as you’d like. You decide your own budget and choose your own ad image. Lastly, Ads offer new, powerful targeting options that allow you to choose which readers see your ad.
I started advertising CWM (non-fiction) book to AU audiences only, for a test of US$25 – I chose CPC bidding, so I only pay when readers click to view more about book. It shows to 10,000 or so; between 0.50 – 0.90 per click.
Reviews: Free Options
Australian Books+Publishing publish reviews in industry newsletters destined for Australian library buyers, bookstores, and reviewers. Must apply 3 months prior to publication.
See this page: https://www.booksandpublishing.com.au/review-submissions/
BookBuzz + NetGalley Offer
For Global Authors
This offer means your listing is checked online and the data is sent to 50 book reviewers, 100 bookstores, 3 PR sites, etc.
NetGalley is a place where book reviewers (trade or amateur) go to find pre-release books to read and blog/write about. Over 6,000 reviewers.
IBPA Members can also access a US$199 listing (3 months) in NetGalley.
Note: ‘NetGalley direct’ pricing starts at $450.